Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh, the Pandemic!

I love my mother. I think I have inherited a lot of her traits. When news of the swine influenza broke out, the first thing that came to her mind was food.

"I think we need to stock up on food. If touch wood we get quarantined, what we have now isn't enough."

"Really, Ma? I'm quite sure we have a lot of food at home."

"It's not enough. Some biscuits and a few packets of noodles, they won't last us even a week. I'm going to NTUC to buy food now. You follow me. I need someone to help carry the things."

Along the way, I was thinking if we were going to need any non-food items. I tried to talk her into getting a Nintendo DS. I didn't succeed, evidently, but I did get to choose some nice snacks. (My mother bought all healthy food - rice, noodles, oats, beans... If there ever is a quarantine, I'd be bored to death by humdrum food.)

As of now, we have about 100 packets of noodles, two and a half sacks of rice, and biscuits in tins and boxes. And there are only three of us.

I am so tired of this already! Please let this be over. This is disrupting the lives of people all over the world. I hate living in this cloud of fear and suspicion. Please let it all clear up and be sunny again.

No comments: